I don't know where to start, so my plan is to (over the next few posts) describe how the project has gone and bring you up to speed on where it currently stands. For now, I'm going to briefly describe the state of the project during the long hiatus.
When we released the WIP (Work-In-Progress) version in 2001, we had already done quite a bit of the ground work. Here's a list of things that we accomplished:
- Changed font tiles from Jap to Eng
- Added code to output variable-width font tiles (because some Eng letters like "i" are skinny)
- Modified in-game graphics from Jap to Eng
- Changed card names to Eng
- Changed card text to Eng
- Changed many menus from Jap to Eng
- Created some bugs
The project didn't change for about 5.5 years, so when I picked it back up, it still needed a lot of work. Here's some things that had to be done:
- Translate the rest of the game text (mostly storyline) from Jap to Eng: This constitutes much of the work, now. Though, it's worth noting that it's not all just a straight translation. Some of the work being done is to make sure that the Eng text fits where the Jap text used to be and that formatting comes out properly.
- Fix some of the problems created by the variable-width text output
- Shorten up some text (like card names) to fit properly
- Fix bugs: I'll try to go into this more in a later post. For now, though, let's just say that I'm either fixing or working around most of the bugs at the moment.